I have been a long time “hater” of green drinks due to the fact that green drinks seem to bring together three of my biggest hardships against society:
- Hippie judging moms who’s children will likely grow into chump little cookie monsters.
- Crazy near-anorexic women who justify juicing as meals. JUICE IS NOT A MEAL, LADIES.
- Purple ketchup. Its just not right. A green drink reminds me of purple ketchup.
However, my Mom visited a couple weeks ago and brought to my attention the utter lack of vegetables in my “diet”. It turns out, she was correct. My ritual of 1/2 deli sandwich for lunch followed by the other 1/2 deli sandwich for dinner, although economically savvy, is not the healthiest of options. Therefore, I’m giving green drinks an honest try because frankly it is the easiest option.
I found this really cool website called “Simple Green Smoothies” where there is a green drink challenge. These women send out a shopping list every Thursday with recipes for the green drinks. The “challenge” is to drink a green drink every day in April. While I haven’t started the challenge yet, I am preparing my mastery what they call the “Beginner’s Luck Smoothie”. Below is a description of how I have mastered the “Beginner’s Luck Smoothie”
Mixing up the water and spinach
Beginner’s Luck Smoothie
- 1 large bag of spinach (think six heaping handfuls)
- 1 pre-cored pineapple
- 1 22 oz bag of chopped mango (3 cups)
- 6 ripe bananas
- 12 ziplock baggies
Beginner’s Luck Smoothie —Serves 1
1 cups spinach, fresh
1 cups water
1/2 cup mango
1/2 cup pineapple
Instructions to Prepare 6 Beginner’s Luck Smoothies for the Week
Each Smoothie will have two baggies (one fruit one veggie)
I don’t really have a lot of time or energy in the morning to chop fruit, wash produce, ect. Therefore, my solution to making this model sustainable is preparing everything over the weekend and freezing it.
Assembling the Fruit Bags: 1/2 C Pineapple + 1/2 C Mango + 1 banana = 1 Fruit Bag (goes in freezer)
- Chop cored pineapple into small pieces. Measure and distribute 1/2 cup per bag
- Distribute frozen mango, 1/2 cup per bag
- Chop and distribute banana 1 banana per bag
Assembling the Spinach Bag: 1 C Spinach = 1 Bag (goes in fridge)
- Wash spinach and measure out 1 cup per bag
Spinach! Measure out ahead of time.
Instructions to make Beginner’s Luck Smoothie
- Whip out your blender (it need not be fancy).
- Add 1 cup water + 1 cup spinach. Blend for 30 seconds on high
- Add frozen fruit baggie, blend for 1 minute and stir mid-way through if necessary.
- Pour into a glass or to go tumbler to take to work, drink with a straw
OK, I probably shouldn’t have selected a bright purple glass as it brings out the green and makes this look like something straight out of Shrek. But, the smoothy was tasty!
Quick Clean Up, FYI
After you are finished, a really easy and quick way to clean the blender is to put a dab of dish soap with water and blend. Makes for fast and easy clean up. If you put enough water in, it will clean the whole blender.