Last night when I walked to Berkeley bowl to get fresh ingredients for my Summer Panzanella, I noticed the array of beautiful berries that usually appear in bounty during the summer. I grabbed a box of blackberries and the necessary ingredients to make up some muffins.
Cooking before coffee can be an interesting experience. This time, a combination of zoning out and being super excited about blackberries resulted in using the mixer on high to blend in the berries. This created what I deemed as the blue man muffins. Word of warning, just gently fold in the berries. If you use a mixer, you muffins will appear blue… similar to the ones pictured in this post.
Whole Wheat Blackberry Muffins
Dry Ingredients: 1 1/4 Cups whole wheat flour 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 3/4 cup pulsed oatmeal 1/2 tsp salt Wet ingredients: 1 egg 1 Tbs melted butter 1 cup sour cream 1 tsp vanilla 3/4 cup brown sugar zest of one Meyer lemon Juice of 1/2 the lemon Berries!
1) Wash and dry the berries
2) In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients and set aside
3) In a large bowl, melt butter and froth egg. Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients.
4) Mix in the dry ingredients.
5) Using a wooden spoon, gently fold in the berries.
6) Make the topping. Chop up the cold butter into small cubes. Using your hands, mix in the butter, sugar and flour until the mixture crumbles. Sprinkle over muffins.
For the Topping: 1/3 cup sugar 2 Tbs cold butter 3 Tbs flour
7) Add topping and bake in greased muffin pan for about 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.